Clay Soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has any advice about getting rid of all the clay in soil I currently have 2 ton of top soil on the top in my borders however as the plants are growing they are growing outwards as they cant go down. Over the past two years since moving in I have been turning over the soil with a digging fork and breaking it up and removing clay as it comes to the surface and adding compost to fill any gaps. This is still very hard every time I come to do it, does anyone have any suggestions on how to break it down or get rid of it so my plants have a better home?

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
Google "no dig gardening" and stop worrying.... Time and worms will eventually improve the soil. Are you making compost?

Ok I will do seems a bit strange but hey I am willing to try anything really lol! I was also thinking of mixing in some sharp sand to allow some drainage and to help break up the soil like you would for a top dressing for grass. Would this help mixed with compost?

I am making compost at the moment and its doing quite well so far. I am turning it over whenever I can do which has helped I have today just added in something which helps speed up the composting process and give it a good mix. I will do this again in 4 weeks as per the directions on the bottle so I get some good compost for this year. I have also this year been putting on chinchilla, degu and gerbil poop as well as their bedding and mixing it in as the bedding is compostable and composts in 4 -6 weeks. So its basically just hay and will help the garden or I think it will anyway.

Thanks

James

I have had a quick look at the no dig gardening and it looks like its great for veg I presume this is the same for all plants not just veg as all the links seem to be referring to growing veg?

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
You might want to do some research if you're planning on planting trees or large shrubs. For things like roses, dig a big hole and fill with compost. No problem with herbaceous perennials, annuals, bulbs etc.

Ok Well I have a few apple trees, a monkey tree a few roses and some other random plants which I have no idea what they are as the other half put them in. Whenever I have put anything in I have always planted with compost anyway so that's a good start.

How would the no dig thing work with the clay would it break it down with the worm action?

I have had a look around at the no dig thing and it seems simple enough just make compost and keep adding it to the borders which will allow the worms to infiltrate and aerate the soil. Does this break down the clay?

Also I have read as well adding coarse grit (or sharp sand) will help clay soils as they allow drainage and this must be mixed in around September time. What are peoples thoughts on this? I obviously want my soil to be much better than it is now by breaking down (if possible) the clay and have a better deeper more meaningful soil in my garden.

I have also found this which was recommended on the telegraph website for gardners or gardening column I presume:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitax-Ltd-2-5Kg-Clay-Breaker/dp/B002ATLTE0/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

It seems to have good reviews and people say it works wonders for their soil so I presume its killing the clay or breaking it up so that the soil can penetrate deeper into the ground allowing better drainage and soil mixture? I am just guessing though.

Thanks

James

Last edited:
Thanks for the links I have ordered some Gypsum and will dig that in with some of my compost which I have made so it can sort the soil out ready for next year. I will add some more in next year as well to keep breaking it up as it seems to be standard practice to do that for a few years and then the soil is better and workable I presume once the gypsum has done its work. Or have I mis read?

Thanks

James

Adding lots and lots of sharp sand and compost helps and using a rotavator to break it all up helps. Just done this and the soil is much better now

Brilliant thanks for that I will be putting loads of compost on with the gypsum which arrived today so hopefully I will have nice soil before the year is out. Well at least better anyway lol.

All,

I have added in the gypsum at weekend and turned it all over and it appears to be working still lots of big clumps so I will just keep forking it over and will add another application next year. I will also be adding some compost when its ready so the soil to help as well.

Thank You for your help

James

Hi there,

-It's generally best to avoid working heavy clay soil when it is wet, or to do anything which compacts it - avoid walking on it where possible.
-You can also open up the soil by growing green manures - go for something with a lot of bulk, rather than high nitrogen, as it's the structure, rather than the nitrogen you'll need for your particular soil.
-Clay makes great rich soil - it just needs lots of organic matter to balance it out.
-When you put compost on the soil, the worms will drag it down into the clay and mix it up, which creates airspace and drainage, which is what is needed.
-If it's a monkey puzzle tree - keep an eye on its growth - they can get very big: http://www.edenproject.com/learn/for-everyone/plant-profiles/monkey-puzzle
-Once the bottled additive for the compost heap is empty, you might want to instead throw in the odd handful of soil to provide all the micro-organisms, and get the compost heap working faster by increasing the nitrogen level with some household liquid activator (also sometimes known as liquid gold).

Thank you for that it's very informative. I will be putting the compost on as soon as its ready and the clay is breaking up nicely now. I know it's not going to be done after one thing but it just needed breaking up. I did it when the soil was dry ready for the rain to further water the gypsum in. I also avoid walking on it since its a border and I dig it over when it's nice as well to try and break it up avoiding compaction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back