Curent Border needs to be deeper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

When I moved into my house my other half decided she wanted to just have a border level with the grass. This was a fairly big problem since everything which is in there currently is dying as the roots cant seem to go anywhere because of the clay.

Is there a way I can keep the few plants I have alive and deepen the border so they and any new plants I get have some chance for survival?

I was thinking of digging them out and putting them into a trug as a temp measure while I dig the border down and get rid of everything and have the soil delivered. Then fill it and plant them again but I think they may kill them?

Does anyone have any idea's on what's best?

Thanks

James

Sponsored Links
That depends on how long they are out for and what time of year you do it. They will survive better in the winter when they are not in active growth; right now you might not be so lucky. What plants exactly?

Some are rose bushes, some I dont know what they are as the other half got the from a friends garden, some are apple trees. That's what I can remember off the top of my head.

I was thinking of doing it one side at a time so they would only be in their trug / pot etc for about a week or two before going back weather depending.

It would be now or summer when I was looking at doing it.

Thanks

James

Keep the roots shaded and e.g. wrapped in plastic to keep the moisture in and there's a reasonable chance they'll survive.

Sponsored Links
a plastic bag will keep the roots damp, but will not protect them from heat e.g. if you leave them exposed to the sun, and warmth may encourage rot.

The roots are bound to be damaged when you dig them back, so cut back the tops especially foliage to try to balance the need for water, with what the replanted roots can supply. Once they establish they will soon regrow the tops.

You can put the roots into tubs of peaty compost if you like, it will help keep them alive until you transplant.

Ah right I may do that then. I have quite a bit of compost in the garage so that maybe the easiest option just pop them in tubs with that while everything is dug out.

All I need now is for the other half to agree to the work! Thats going to be harder than digging the borders out and filling them again lol

Just put them in a trug - the Sussex basket with magic properties;) If the clay is that bad it might be worth seeing if you can put some kind of land drain in the bottom - ideally going somewhere if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back