Cleaning Brushes after glossing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm glossing my interior doors this weekend. I was wondering if anybody had any tips for cleaning the brush after glossing. I have just had my kitchen replaced (where I'll be cleaning the brushes) so i want to make as little mess as possible.

Would i be right in thinking that you shouldnt tip white spirit down the sink?

Pete

Sponsored Links
you shouldn't tip white spirit into any drain, nor paint.

the easy thing is to use brush cleaner, the blue stuff sold in paint shops. Wipe off as much as possible of the paint from your brush onto newspaper which you can throw away, work the brush in the cleaner to get it well into the bristles and stock, leave it while you have your tea, then work it through again, wipe off as much as you can, then rinse out several times in fresh water.

Use a glass jar not a plastic container.

If you screw the lid on tight and leave it for next time, the paint residue will sink to the bottom and you can pour the cleared brush cleaner off into a new jar. Never mix water with it.

If you are doing a lot of oil painting, a surprising tip is that if you throw the brushes in jar of paraffin, it loosens the paint and it easily falls out of the bristles. Again, you can leave it to settle and re-use. Of course you have to clean out the paraffin later, you can do this with detergent or with brush cleaner, or you could use white spirit if you don't mind the expense. Paraffin gets paint out faster than white spirit or brush cleaner and is cheap.

The trouble with white spirit is that it just dilutes the paint, so there is always some left in the brush.

Keep separate brushes for White and for Colours as slight colour residues will tint your white paint next time (true).

Some paints will wash out with water and a little washing-up liquid. look at the label.

Avoid cheap thin brushes. A good brush, well-used and well-cleaned, paints better than a new one.

Whenever I paint with Gloss I go down the local DIY store and buy a pack of cheap £2 brushes (5 sizes cheapo pack) and when I've used them I throw them away.

For the amount of painting I do and the hassle it is to clean out gloss I reckon this way is alot easier and cheaper.

cheap brushes are OK as long as you don't mind what the finish looks like, or how long it takes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys I'l pop to Wickes in the morning and get some brush cleaner

I'm just undercoating first I'm using a £5 harris brush for that, Will that be ok for glossing as well or should I get a better brush?

I'm undercoating once, then sanding repeating both then glossing does that sound ok?

Pete

must admit I always use a Hamiltons Perfection for gloss.

IMO substantially better than Harris. Twice the price too. so worth taking care of. Don't use the black-bristle ones in water-based paints. For that you need the white synthetic brush.

A 2-inch and a 3/4-inch will do most things.

Can't think when I last bought a new one. I probably have some that belonged to my old dad as well.

You can use the same brush for u/c as for finish, provided its the same colour. If the brush is new, this will wear it in slightly and (with a cheap brush) let the loose bristles fall out before you do the topcoat.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...OCFFQ?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=paint+brush

the second sanding should be just a light wipe over with a fine grade to remove the snots and flies' legs. Wipe over with a clean rag moistened with white spirit to remove the dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back