Cleaning Chrome Appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know you can get Brasso for Brass and such, but not seen anything for Chrome.

The Misses recently bought a few new chrome items for the kitchen, Kettle, Bread Bin, Coffee - Tea - Sugar Pots etc, and they are all that type of chrome where you only have to look at it and it gets smudges that are a nightmare to remove.

Is there any Chrome Cleaning Solution, or any homebrew tips for cleaning chrome and getting smudges out? everything I have tried doesnt work so I turn to you experts for help.

Sponsored Links
foxy - only use a liquid cleaner. I use Aro Kitchen Cleaner (liquid in a 'trigger' spray bottle), spray on, wipe off with a hardly damp cloth (I use kitchen paper) to leave a dazzling finish. Aro stuff is only available from the Makro wholesaler; the supermarkets sell similar stuff. Never use a abrasive cleaner (Brasso is abrasive). This spray is also good for stainless kitchen stuff.

you also need soft water or you will get limescale watermarks.

Next time you get a new wife, tell her to buy Brushed Stainless not Mirror finish.

Sponsored Links
So say I went into Asda or Tesco can anyone tell me what product I would be looking for, an exact name would be awesome.

Any cleaner will do that takes the grease off. Unlike brass which is soft chrome is extremely hard - so you don't take any metal off as you do with Brasso.

Use baby oil (or cooking oil) - rub on with cotton wool or kitchen towel then wipe off. Works brilliantly on shiny chrome etc.

Never clean chrome when it's hot though as it will "blue" which is not reversible, requiring a rechrome.

Baby oil does it for me, works well on stainless as well.

Tony

i dont suppose Nightfox cares.

Nightfox last posted in June, but asked this question 4 months ago

please check the date a post was made

This seems to be happening a lot recently, I wonder if there is something up with the search?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back