Cleaning out sludge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have inherited a central heating system from the previous owners, which comprises a relatively new boiler (3 years old), new radiators but old microbore pipework....... but the system is heavily clogged with magnetite sludge which I want to get rid of, but without replacing the pipework as the cost will be too much and I don't want the disruption.

I don't want to run the risk of springing a leak in the pipework by using a harsh chemical cleaner, so I am thinking about removing every radiator and cleaning them out with a hose and then fitting a magnaclean http://www.magnaclean.co.uk to remove the suspended particulate that is left in the pipework - Does this make sense??

The only other option that I can think of apart from powerflushing, is to use Sentinel X400 as this is not as harsh as some of the other cleaners and then using a leak sealer, but I am concerned that any leaks may not be sealed as I am unsure how effective the sealer is???

Can anyone help as I am getting desperate now!!

Cheers

B[/url]

MOD

edited to correct link

Sponsored Links
Cheers Kev,

I presume that the X400 should shift the sludge and any leaks that would appear would only be pinholes (cos otherwise i would already know about larger holes?) and that the leak sealer would sort out any pinholes/weeping? - is it possible to put the leak sealer in with the X400 as a precaution and then after I have removed the X400, put some more leak sealer in and an inhibitor???

Cheers

B

Sponsored Links
Look, if your rads have rusted to the point where they're starting to leak, you need to know NOW so you can REPLACE them!
I'd only use leak sealer as a last resort. I was advisd against its use for combis cos they have moving parts, where air is likely to get in a bit, so things block and seize.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back