Cleaning quarry tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have about 20 quarry tiles that were lifted to dig a new gulley to a manhole, and that I now want to put back. Some of them have black permanent marker on them (measurement lines I stupidly made when I removed them, when I hadn''t intended to reuse them). They are a sort of tawny red quarry tile of recent manufacture.

I was going to clean the old mortar/adhesive from them by immersing them in brick acid. Does anyone think this will also remove the marker pen? If not, how would you remove it? As the tiles aren't glazed I wondered if I could try to sand it off. Any better ideas appreciated.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Why bother cleaning and messing with acid? It would probably cheaper to buy 20 quarry tile than the brick acid.

Why bother cleaning and messing with acid? It would probably cheaper to buy 20 quarry tile than the brick acid.

It would but I'm not sure I can match them. And I have the brick acid.

Cheers
Richard

If matching is the concern then after an acid bath its unlikely that the cleaned up tiles will match the field.
Typically, whole installations are cleaned, especially if the surface has been sealed.

Sometimes, even the most innocent markers are almost impossible to remove without bleaching the tile.

Sponsored Links
Sigh. I'm sure you're right. I'll see if I can get some that look vaguely similar. It's only to patch up my back porch before I sell the house.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back