cleaning roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi is very anyway i can clean the roof tiles while there still on the roof?
The house is 1930 build with no roof felt and looks like 6"x6" tiles ( if you take one off they are about 6"x10" in correct size) They are red and flat in colour. The roof needs repointing but apart from that in good order. I dont want to replace roof as want to keep original as possible.
Is there some sort of spray chemical i can spray the roof with/jetwash etc i can use to clean the roof up so it looks better?

Sponsored Links
Tb-off the record brick cleaner cleans most things-very dangerous to use on a roof,and you should be responsible for waste to drains.An acid substance as this requires being responsible.ie. this is off the record/splashes and requires goggles /gloves and may be used to clean mortar off bricks.There are other mould removers available.Take great care not only to yourself but to others,including animals etc.

By the sounds of it they could be original and I wouldn't touch them unless you want to replace them. The old cliche applies, if it aint boke don't fix it. You'll more than likely damage the tiles doing anything to them, bearing in mind the age of the tiles (and they sound like they are clay) they could have blown heads and any pressure to them could start a snowball job.

i have had a couple of guys around to quote for replacing ridge tiles today and when asked about cleaning they had never heard of cleaning the tiles! so i thought fook it! At the worst i will need a new roof after i atempt myself! So i got the decking cleaner machine and let lose on my roof tiles! I am well chuffed with the out come, they look like new, no damage to tiles, no leaks, etc! What a perfect out come!

Sponsored Links
i have had a couple of guys around to quote for replacing ridge tiles today and when asked about cleaning they had never heard of cleaning the tiles! so i thought fook it! At the worst i will need a new roof after i atempt myself! So i got the decking cleaner machine and let lose on my roof tiles! I am well chuffed with the out come, they look like new, no damage to tiles, no leaks, etc! What a perfect out come!

So you power washed them ? Are you thinking on using a copper ridge system now ?

Basically it involves putting copper strips adjacent to the ridge line that will kill off any moss and lichens that try to grow on your tiles

Copper not being as pure as it once was, works for the first 2-3 tiles, then causes streaks. If the tiles are clay, they will become porous after 40+ years. The frost gets the backs and causes red dust in your gutters. If cement 25-35 years is the Marley estimate for lifespan.
Once power washed the surface is gone and they will last longer if coated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back