silicone spray on outside of tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

my neighbour (an elderly lady on her own) is having work done on her roof, they are cleaning off the moss, apparently jetwashing the tiles, repointing anything that needs it and then if I have this right they are spraying the roof with some kind of silicone seal? Is this normal? (Tiles are interlocking concrete (ludlow plus) from the 50s)

They have turned up today in an enterprise rent a van which doesn't inspire confidence...

not sure my input will be desired at this point (only found out this morning) but will keep my ear to the ground in case they start talking about needing to replace the whole roof or something.

of course they could be completely legit and it could be a good preventatitive maintenance thing that I've just not heard of.

thanks

Trev

Sponsored Links
One of my dad's neighbours recently had this sort of work done. Roof on a bungalow built C 1972. Double roman roof tiles.
THB it looks very good and the neighbour is very happy with the result. It actually looks a lot better than the neighbouring properties roofs now. Actually looks like a new roof.

If moss must be cleaned of a roof best to use a wire brush and scraper,preasure washers shouldnt be used on roofs.As for the silicone spray(waterseal) in the short term it will stop the tiles being as porus as but this will not last.Basicly sound like chancers to me.How much is she paying for this???Always seems to be OAPs who get talked into this type of work. ;)

Sponsored Links
If moss must be cleaned of a roof best to use a wire brush and scraper,preasure washers shouldnt be used on roofs.As for the silicone spray(waterseal) in the short term it will stop the tiles being as porus as but this will not last.Basicly sound like chancers to me.How much is she paying for this???Always seems to be OAPs who get talked into this type of work. ;)
There are many many threads on this matter (serach Aquashield) on Money Saving Expert and here. Cumbrian Roofer is not giving the correct answer as he has an interest in stopping roof-coaters doing their stuff. Silicone is a no no, useless for this type of work. There is however many versions of waterbased , breathable acrylic ROOF COATING available, the isssue is I am afraid that this has become the latest scam to make a fast buck for many cowboys. Some roof-coaters are legit, and been around for many years, Problem is there are many hundreds now 'chancing' it at silly prices. Some are massive businesses turning over £millions, but they still do it wrong. Pressure washers on roof,s NO PROBLEM, IF the operator knows what he is doing. ps: never try and buy a Posrche off a skateboard salesman...... he wants to sell you a porsche.:cool:

QUOTE (They have turned up today in an enterprise rent a van which doesn't inspire confidence...)

I would have thought it would have been couple of horses.....

okay, so might well be completely kosher then..
Very unlikely; it will almost certainly be a load of cash she really doesn’t need to spend for not very much in return, it won’t last more than a couple of winters if that & won't give any benefit what so ever; basically it's a scam that no one with any sense should fall for.

There are many many threads on this matter (serach Aquashield) on Money Saving Expert and here. Cumbrian Roofer is not giving the correct answer as he has an interest in stopping roof-coaters doing their stuff. Silicone is a no no, useless for this type of work. There is however many versions of waterbased , breathable acrylic ROOF COATING available, the isssue is I am afraid that this has become the latest scam to make a fast buck for many cowboys. Some roof-coaters are legit, and been around for many years, Problem is there are many hundreds now 'chancing' it at silly prices. Some are massive businesses turning over £millions, but they still do it wrong. Pressure washers on roof,s NO PROBLEM, IF the operator knows what he is doing. ps: never try and buy a Posrche off a skateboard salesman...... he wants to sell you a porsche.:cool:
So what business are you in "hartleythedog" ???ROOF COATINGS BY ANY CHANCE????

No happy to be retired and having fun winding up know it all,s :evil:
I dont know it all,i dont know much about plumbing,building,decorating etc etc BUT when it comes to roofs i know a hell of alot.Maybe got sumin to do with the 140yrs combined exp between 3 generations of roofing in the family?even now im still learning.IF every tile from a roof was removed,cleaned then panited with these coatings maybe then and only then would they have any real chance of being effective BUt this is not the case.It is applied to the tiles on the roof.Its a scam,if it were not a scam i would do it,i mean c'mon there is no skill involved but i dont bother with it as being a roofer i know it for what it is.PS,Ok then if your not into this game then ill bet you have had it applied to your roof?Dont expect you to admit to it though :evil: .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back