Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My flat has a roof terrace, that doubles as the ground floor flats roof. The roof doesn't appear to be leaking into the downstairs, or at least there has been no complaints that it has. My flat is located in a block of 4, the maintenance of the flat roof is supposed to be split 4 ways. However the lady that owns 2 of the flats is flaky as they come, and there is one owner that rents his out that no matter how many attempts at contact he never replies.

There is a downpipe and hopper, where the pitched roofs drains straight onto the flat roof at present. This obviously not good as there are 3 pitches venting onto the flat roof. In heavy downpour the roof floods as it cant drain quick enough. On the far side of the roof is a drain off point to the sewers, I was thinking of replacing the existing hopper and downpipe, currently about 4 feet of it, down to the roof deck. Then run a pipe along the base of the wall to the drain off. The pipe may be to big to fit through the hole that's there, but I should be able to channel the water close enough that it shouldn't flood the whole roof. Does anybody see any reason why this wouldn't work?

In the corner where there is another drain off point the deck feels spongy when walked on, its not a large area and its been like it for years. The asphalt doesn't appear to be damaged, and again it doesn't leak. Is there any way to do something with this corner to strengthen it to save expense? I did consider using something like Thompson roof repair, then decking over it. Not ideal but nobody else wants to do anything.

The existing covering protecting the asphalt is far from great, the tiles tend to impede the water draining, however this could be due to the water from the pitched roofs. It might not be so much of an issue if my plan above works.

The tiles are lifting, and moss growing under and around them. Do you think trying to gently take them up, clean them off and sticking them back down with some kind of adhesive/mastic would work? maybe sealing the joins between them to stop dirt getting in there would work. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the tiles are made of a similar rubber to playground tiles allowing water to drain through them. Ideally they should be ditched, the roof probably redone. I'm looking to just clean it up for the minute as best I can, if it starts leaking in future then then all parties will have no option but to fork out. But in the meantime any advice on some diy fixes would be appreciated.

Thanks
Darren

_1 (Medium).JPG
DSC_0284 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0285 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0286 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0287 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0291 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0297 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0299 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0300 (Medium).JPG

DSC_0301 (Medium).JPG

Sponsored Links
A paid for comprehensive plan should be drawn up by a local Builder/Roofer or a RICS surveyor.
You have many issues and I imagine all the tenants and owners will have to be consulted and involved in any kind of defects scheme.
All the big banks offer Escrow accounts: the only way to go in a joint enterprise, not foolproof in protecting your contribution but better than nothing.

Maybe you should ask your below neighbour for access to the flat below. It would be surprising if no damp had penetrated from the flat roof, the flashing arrangements or the steps.
Then there's the problems on the pitched roofs and their drainage.
The spongy area is possibly where trapped moister has bubbled the asphalt.
Repairs have been done in the past in a bits and pieces fashion maybe successfully, maybe not.

As a last resort if no interior water penetration can be found then do nothing. Dont mess with any of it.

Thanks for the advice, the stairs were fully flashed till some git pinched it one night. By rights even though there was flashing, it was still damp below them. I was in the flat not so long back, there was no signs of damp. Had a water leak so needed to see what damage it had caused below.

Thanks
Again

They are dished like that now through age, and you wont get them flat again.

You should really serve a formal notice on all the leaseholders and get the maintenance sorted out. Add a quotation and it might get their attention.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you put a 90 degree bend on the bottom of the down pipe and then a length of pipe going through the water outlet near your door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back