Laying decking on a roof terrace.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is correct section, so please move if needed.

My Girlfriends flat has an outside area, this had felt and promenade tiles on it to allow it to be used as a roof terrace, but last year it had to be relaid due to leaks, it looked like it had been on for decades.

The neighbour down stairs organised it. and I helped. him, rip it up, lay new OSB boards, and then had it proffesionally felted. The roofers said to avoid tiles as they are a pain to lay.

So i'm looking at decking the area, but what do I need to put between th felt and the wood frame? it is a roof terrace and not just a flat roof.

Can I use underlay under the wood sections?

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Promenade tiles would be perfectly suited to this, I don't quite follow as to why your roofers were not keen to fit them.

Anyway decking can be fitted though you just have to consider your falls and how the water can traverse its way through to the gullys. Just stick a layer felt under the joists that are in contact with the roof, obviously watch your fixings, The whole lot will weigh a tone so no need to worry about fixing it down. They do make proprietary decking supports that adjust in height to take out the fall but they aren't cheap. You could also lay slabs using paving supports but again they're not exactly cheap.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, it has quite a slope on it and decking would help to level it out. I looked up the adjustable supports on the web, the advantage is they will level it up and still allow drainage. The step down from the doors is quite big so it would help with tis also. If I use supports do I need to use a layer felt under each foot?

Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back