Flat felt roof joining with tiled roof

C1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in 1 of 3 terraced houses, the end two of these houses have a normal pitched tiled clay roof, the middle one however is a felt flat roof.

The flat roof is in a bad state of repair and has caused a leak into my house presumably where the water is running off the tiles, and going down holes where the flat roof joins my tiled roof.

The owner of the middle house states that it is possible for him to replace his flat roof and make it water tight without underlaying my tiles, i.e. without removing 3 course of tiles off my roof, laying the overhang of felt and then placing the tiles back.

As far as I am understand it, to ensure the middle house is water tight, requires that he must underlay my tiles? Would this be correct?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

C1

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
He`s probably going to give it a coat of "blackjack".which means your tiles can stay..strange layout tho :eek:

As Nige F says strange set up. Any chance of pictures?
I can't fathom out how the flat roof is joined to your pitched roof.

You say flat roof joins yours which is a pitch roof. Do you mean that the roof is pitched but the profile of the covering is 'FLAT' ie: boarded with a felt covering, hence the word 'FLAT'.

so as not to babble on how it should be done I'll just say it can only be effectively sealed with lead soakers. I say lead because the soakers have to be 'dressed' down from UNDER your first row of tiles onto the boarding on his roof.
You want more detail then I'll try posting a drawing if I can get an Idea how as I'm new to this post game.

On NO account accept any bitumen seal it's a 5 min wonder and cheap.
the roof expands and contract all of the time and this type of seal will open in no time.

Where were the local planners having tea and cakes ? If it's how I think it's done it might be illegal. I do hope you can post a picture as I and possibly others would like to see these houses. Try get a close up one as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back