Tiled roof joining onto felt roof - leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently bought a semi detached house and that has a low pitch 20degree strapin board / straw and felt roof.

The roof was in a right mess due to neglect so I had it replaced with a flat tiled roof (tile was suitable for pitch) however problem was joining our new tiled roof to neighbours straw/felt roof.

Solution was once battens was on the tiles came level with strapin board so they butted then up and got a felt strip joing over top.

Problem is water seems to be getting in on my side (not much but enough) guess this is due to small gap were tile overlaps. Did put some silicone in but obviously not enough.

Any ideas how best to fix?

Sponsored Links
A traditional way to join two roofs sharing the same pitch but covered in different materials is either a lead roll or a secret gutter.

With a lead roll you dress soakers over a "mopstick" roll and cap it with a strip of code 4 to leave it neat. in your case the other side would need the felt dressing over it first

e.g. lead roll example
http://www.jamiebrownroofing.co.uk/...an-slate-roof-with-new-velux-roof-window.html

I can't find a photo example of the secret gutter, but you form a small box channel between the two, line with lead and treat very similar to a lead valley gutter.

I prefer to see the roll version as it won't get blocked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back