No felt under tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, just bought a 1920's semi which has no felt under the tiles.

Roof is probably a 45 degree pitch with small clay tiles. The backs where then filled with mortar which over the years has nearly all ended up on the loft floor insulation making the loft totally un-useable.

Having inspected the roof timbers and battening, they are all in very good order with no signs of water penetration.

Not wishing to run to the expense of a complete removal of tiles and new felt and battens, can I attach overlapping breathable & waterproof roofing paper to the backs of the joists? This will cut down on the dust and sand falling from the roof and allow me to properly insulate and put down a floor to make the loft useable.

Richard

Sponsored Links
Not wishing to run to the expense of a complete removal of tiles and new felt and battens, can I attach overlapping breathable & waterproof roofing paper to the backs of the joists? This will cut down on the dust and sand falling from the roof and allow me to properly insulate and put down a floor to make the loft useable.

Richard
Yes you can. Only problem is that if you do have a roof leak, you will only know about it when the wall plate has rotted through.

I did think of that so I was contemplating leaving the final layer of paper just a little short of the wall plate so any water would then fall on the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
This is precisely the situation in the house I am about to purchase. Roof seems watertight, however the mortar on the back of the small clay plain tiles is covering the loft in dust. Your idea to fix membrane on the rear of the rafters serves only as a dust guard rather than weatherproofing. Still, serves a purpose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back