Felt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. We’re coming to the end of a loft conversion and it’s just occurred to me that I didn’t notice if the builders used felt under the new roof tiles. Looking back through my photos I have this which shows the insulation but no felt or battens. How can I check? Am I being ridiculous?!

Attachments

• 6B5BFFD3-CE1F-4BB1-8B07-28ABE211EA59.jpeg
    6B5BFFD3-CE1F-4BB1-8B07-28ABE211EA59.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
It wouldn't be felt nowadays as it's not breathable, it would be a membrane.
Did they reuse the old tiles?
Are those tiles going on or coming off when that photo was taken? Appears they were going on.
I assume the drawings/specification shows a membrane.
They should have fitted one to the parts of the roof they stripped especially if they insulated beneath. Best way is to ask them what's going on with the membrane under the roof tiles and see what they say.
If you have an architect, get them to make suggestions.

Thanks for the reply. The tiles on the right are the old ones coming off. There's no architect but I'll try asking the builders and see what they say. Thanks

That's just plain silly if you did not have them remove that little bit of tiling left on the roof and refelt and tile the whole lot.

And is that ridge out of level and tile battens wonky, or a dodgy lens?

Sponsored Links
All the old tiles are now off and replaced with new ones. It's just that I don't remember seeing any felt or membrane and want to put my mind at rest now but can't see how to check.
The right hand bit is slightly raised - that's original and matches next door

That's just plain silly if you did not have them remove that little bit of tiling left on the roof and refelt and tile the whole lot.
I see what you're meaning, but with all credit to the op for noticing, I doubt the OP would have thought about that before hand, that's the job of the designer.

I'd like to know why they have used a piece of 4x2"
for the ridge when it looks like they needed an 8X2"

All the old tiles are now off and replaced with new ones. It's just that I don't remember seeing any felt or membrane and want to put my mind at rest now but can't see how to check.

Is the scaffold still up?
If so, just lift up a couple of tiles and poke a torch under to have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back