Roof repair and loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am struggling to understand my roofing contractor's quote and reasoning behind some of the work.

The roof on our rear extension (extended by previous owner) is missing the edges in the bottom corners and it slipped over the years. We need to replace the old skylights, so we want to have the roof repaired and loft insulation installed as well. The contractor suggested stripping the roof, fitting insulation, re felt and batten roof, two new windows with flashing kits, tile the roof back in fitting dry hip and ridge system. He wants to replace the battens and says that to access the felt you need to lift the battens off and fit in new ones at the end. That adds almost £1k to the quote. Is this necessary? The battens are in a good shape and there have never been any leaks on this roof. Is it possible to replace the felt without replacing the battens? Any advice?

Many thanks,

Lydia

Sponsored Links
You need to replace the batons.

The old ones would likely be broken when removing anyway.

You need to replace the batons.

The old ones would likely be broken when removing anyway.
Thanks. Do the batons need to be removed at all? Here are his two quotes (below). As you can imagine, we want to save money where we can with all the cost of living crisis and energy costs going up.

Quote one; new roof single storey rear extension , fit new Velux windows, fit dry ridge system relaying original tiles

Materials:

Breathable roof shield felt £150.00
Treated batten 38 x 50 x 3 £180.00
Vented felt support trays x 10 £30.00
Broken damages tiles allowance £50.00
Dry ridge system x 2 £120.00
Block end ridge x 2 £44.00
Hip trays x 10 £30.00
Velux window 78x98 x2 £698.00
Velux flashing kit x 2 £170.00
Loft roll insulation £50.00
Rubbish removal £120.00

Materials total £1,642.00 incl vat

Labour 3 days £1,500.00 incl vat

Grand total £3,142.00 inc vat

Brief job description; strip complete roof, fit insulation, re felt and batten roof, fit two Velux windows with flashing kits, tile
roof back in fitting dry hip and ridge system. Clear site of all rubbish

Quote two; rear single storey extension, fir new hip and ridge with dry system and fit two Velux windows

Materials:

Broken damages tiles allowance £50.00
Dry ridge system x 2 £120.00
Block end ridge x 2 £44.00
Hip trays x 10 £30.00
Velux window 78x98 x2 £698.00
Velux flashing kit x 2 £170.00
Loft roll insulation £50.00
Batten £30.00
Rubbish removal £80.00

Materials total £1,272.00 incl vat

Labour 2 days £1,000.00 incl vat

Grand total £2,272.00

Brief job description; remove existing hips and ridge, fit insulation, fit two Velux windows with flashing kits, fitting dry hip
and ridge system. Clear site of all rubbish

Any thoughts, if it would be ok to accept the lower quote?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Get another couple of like for like quotes.

I'm assuming the attic in the extension cannot be reached via a hatch from the house.

Get another couple of like for like quotes.

I'm assuming the attic in the extension cannot be reached via a hatch from the house.
That's correct, it's not accessible... thanks, I am still waiting for another two quotes from two other people.... It's taking a long time...

As above more quotes,
It may not be suitable to use loft roll (fluff)
A few battens are not worth fretting over, they would need pulling off and de nailing .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back