Felted flat roof terrace - can I tile it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I hope you will be able to assist. I have just bought a 1900s end of terrace house which has a 1950s extension with on top of it a 45 square meters flat roof terrace which is accessible from one of the bedrooms on the first floor and has been covered with felt very recently and has fences. I do not know anything about flat roofs, when I bought the house I assumed everything was fine with the roof and I know it can stand the weight of a 20st man and that the damp course is fine. I am nevertheless wary of using it too much and would like to cover it with something that will protect the felt. I have looked into removable decking squares but am not 100% it is what I want and the best solution. I am italian and the idea of tiling the terrace with terracotta tiles would really appeal to me making it a permanent solution, but am not sure I can tile (and use grout) on felt, making it a rigid surface. Can you please help me? I have been thinking about this for months now and after very expensive quotes for decking, EPDM membranes, etc, feel quite confused.
I have pictures of the roof to send you if you wish to help.
Thank you!!![/code]

Sponsored Links
Don't be surprised it's expensive, what you want IS expensive. You can't tile over felt satisfactorily, and the problems with flat roofs are leigon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back