Flat Roof Abutting to Pitched - how to join properly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a flat roofed extension abutting a pitched (concrete tile) roof. The, er, "person" who built the flat roofed extension (no planning, no BC) just removed the bottom row of tiles and continued the flat roof under the tiled on. It doesn't leak (at least not there) but both have to come off (both in generally poor condition, flat intended to be used as a roof terrace but not nearly strong enough) and I'd like to do it properly. How should they be joined?

And while I'm at it... I'm happy to replace the pitched roof, but have heard that flat is not DIY? Currently it's fibreglass and I'm assuming it's not a good idea to walk on regularly.

Regards,
Neal[/i]

Sponsored Links
Providing the actual roof structure is strong enough to take the load then there is no reason why a fibreglass or polyroof shouldn't be walked on, it is much tougher than felt.
Has your roof covering started to lift from the structure. how old is it because most fibre glass roofs are pretty good nowadays.
Dressing the roof up under the tiles is the normal way to finish the roof.

Thanks for the reply!

chappers said:
Providing the actual roof structure is strong enough to take the load then there is no reason why a fibreglass or polyroof shouldn't be walked on, it is much tougher than felt.
Has your roof covering started to lift from the structure. how old is it because most fibre glass roofs are pretty good nowadays.
The joists are only 4x2, and although not that big it's definitely a bit 'bouncy'. I could actually sort this from inside, and most of the fibreglass is OK, but there was absolutely no fall on it at all when built, and someone's built a set of concrete steps up to a large window for access. This has made it sag (and damaged the flashing) so you get a big pond and a leak when it rains - think I might as well start again as faff about trying to fix it.

chappers said:
Dressing the roof up under the tiles is the normal way to finish the roof.
Something done properly then - the pitched roof is currently off, and the fibreglass roof continues up the rafters for about 20cm.

Thanks again,
Neal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back