Pitched roof meets flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, just wondering if anyone can help with a little roof issue a workmate has, he's had an extension that has an almost flat roof(slight pitch) which butts up against the pitched roof of the garage, currently theres a 200mm brick upstand to the rear of said flat roof, the tiles from the pitched roof finish lower than the upstand, whats the best way to finish the pitched roof onto the flat?any help much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_1695.JPG
    IMG_1695.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 1,630
  • IMG_1693.JPG
    IMG_1693.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 1,385
  • IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 4,625
Sponsored Links
Baffled?
Why was the masonry brought up that high in the first place? Why wasn't the flat roof joists and the flat roof material, continued across the wall and finished as a normal (flattie - pitched) abutment?
That whole finishing detail looks poorly thought out and poorly designed.

Where exactly is the wall plate for the pitched roof? Have the builders laid blocks on top of (the wall plate) timber?

I don't understand the purpose of the other parapet either, other than to cause more headaches. This just needs finishing with stepped lead flashings. I can see that no lead chases have been raked out and that they have prematurely bedded the coping.

Sack or shoot the builder.

the easiest option is form a gutter behind the parapet. lead or what ever takes your fancy.. along the lines of the membrane that has been used to temporarily weather it

Baffled?
Why was the masonry brought up that high in the first place? Why wasn't the flat roof joists and the flat roof material, continued across the wall and finished as a normal (flattie - pitched) abutment?
That whole finishing detail looks poorly thought out and poorly designed.

Where exactly is the wall plate for the pitched roof? Have the builders laid blocks on top of (the wall plate) timber?

I don't understand the purpose of the other parapet either, other than to cause more headaches. This just needs finishing with stepped lead flashings. I can see that no lead chases have been raked out and that they have prematurely bedded the coping.

Sack or shoot the builder.
I have no idea what the builder was on, not on the job now, i was thinking the best way would be to cut off the upstand and run the flat roof up to the top of the first tile and fibreglass,

Sponsored Links
the easiest option is form a gutter behind the parapet. lead or what ever takes your fancy.. along the lines of the membrane that has been used to temporarily weather it
This would have worked but would mean the neighbors roof would need modding too which isnt an option, bad planning from builder i think

what a cock up! I would lay some 18mm OSB across the rafter feet
and knock of the block work off until the OSB meets the flat foot and then fibre glass that to the new flat roof.

It could be boarded on top of the blocks with a drip detail onto the flat roof, and then take the board up the pitch on a very shallow slope and under the tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back