Flat roof to pitch roof conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advise comments appreciated regarding this project.
I have a single story flat roofed extension on the rear of my thatched roof cottage. I would like to remove the flat roof in exchange for a single pitched roof. However, I am unsure regarding the slope required, the thatch comes down to about one foot above the flat roof and the extension is about ten feet wide. I am hoping that I can use slates on the pitched roof.

Sponsored Links
Technically 17.5° is about as low as you can go in slate, I work your proposed roof out to be about 6-10° after you've raised it which my friend, is what is technically know as a flat roof not pitched!

Not 100% clear from your description exactly what you have tbh. Any chance of a piccy.

You wont get slates on that pitch! which would be regarded as a flat roof.

Can you raise the pitch by tying into the thatched roof?

Thanks for replies, I will try and get a pic' up but to be honest I am a techi hopeless case. I can't disturb the thatch so the only way I can get the 17.5% is by cutting the height of the external kitchen walls down. Its getting expensive now so perhaps I will leave flat roofed. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies, I will try and get a pic' up but to be honest I am a techi hopeless case. I can't disturb the thatch so the only way I can get the 17.5% is by cutting the height of the external kitchen walls down. Its getting expensive now so perhaps I will leave flat roofed. Thanks again.

You could (assuming you have deep pockets) build on a proper roof up to the height of the main roof and thus create a valley either side and then thatch the new roof. Simple really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back