Vaulted mono pitched roof in a non rectangular extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am new to this forum and to building. I am doing an side and rear extension with planning permission and in order to build over a drain and in order to comply with planning permission, my architect has suggested a layout as shown below.

Originally the rear extension was perfectly flat and 3 meters wide and I was planning on a vaulted pitch roof for the rear and a normal pitched roof for the side.

However due to the new layout, my architect says that only a flat roof is possible.

Please could someone advise if the extension shaded in green (rear) can have a vaulted single pitched roof while the side extension (in blue) can have a flat roof? Will the fact that part of the rear extension is almost 16 feet wide cause problems with height of roof etc? I plan on having a few velux windows on the rear roof.

Many thanks
View media item 45223

Sponsored Links
That looks absolutly mahoosive! I'd ask your architect if it complies with the Local Plan before you go much further.

Hi freddymercurystwin,

Thanks, I thought it looked dis-proportionality large as well. I will go back to him.

In any case, assuming we reduce the size down, can a vaulted roof for the rear and flat side roof still be possible? Even if the rear is not rectangular?

Or maybe I should simply go for a simple 3 meter rectangular rear extension even if it means that I may need to put in fancy foundations (cantilever?) to build over the drain running across the garden at the 2.5 meter mark

In principle you can do pitched roof's on non rectangular footprints although you can end up with some funny looking angles for the eaves/vaulted ceiling etc. Pretty dificult to answer your thread though without seeing the existing elevations though. Your architect may have a good reason not apparent from your plan. Have you asked him, he should be happy to explain it.

Sponsored Links
Hi freddymercurystwin,

Thanks again. I have now arranged a meeting with him next week. I will see how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back