low pitch extension roof

I would try and avoid the WC adjacent/opening onto the dining area. Can you have it opening into the hall/where the cupboard is situated?

this is interesting point. Our neighbours for example extend the corridor further into the kitchen, so the toilet entrance is still in the corridor, but then you have quite few doors opening into the small narrow space near the stairs.. Definitely something to think about

Sponsored Links
The suggestion of a flat section and then tiled further down is not unreasonable. If your architects have 'refused point blank' to detail such a roof, then it raises the question of their competence.

The suggestion of a flat section and then tiled further down is not unreasonable. If your architects have 'refused point blank' to detail such a roof, then it raises the question of their competence.

Yes it seem surprising your architects dont want to do it. Lack of competence or arrogance?

Yes it seem surprising your architects dont want to do it. Lack of competence or arrogance?

Arrogance, I feel. Although they are citing problems in waterproofing such a construction. Maybe they did not have experience building it before. They are pushing hard for a flat roof and submitting for application planning, deferring everything else later. So we have a bit of communication breakdown now on this basis.

Anyway, we have learned a lot during the process and will now be more experienced working with the next set )

Sponsored Links
Find another designer and move forward, you don't need architects anyway for a domestic extension, respectfully it's nothing unusual and any competent designer can be used ie a technician. The detail in question is perfectly standard and easy to detail, I expect they just want to avoid continuing with you too as it sounds like the working relationship has crumbled.

Hi

I’m having a similar concern with a 4m pitched roof extension.

Can I ask what you did in the end? My current drawings just about allow for the 210cm high doors but not much else, I’m concerned it will feel too low and we won’t even be able to put blinds above it.

The pitch is at 14 degrees which I’m unsure if the velux will leak (it says their minimum pitch is 15 degrees) for these windows.
EEE0505B-D37B-44BB-9E92-3E4B24A14446.png
14887348-BC53-499A-9A52-B65015107712.png

The pitch doesn't have to be restricted by the existing windows in the house.

Nor do you have to have a full width flat roof to increase pitch of the tiled section.
If you go that route you may as well go flat all over .
This problem has been covered on this site several times and drawings posted .

Some pics of a flat and pitched roof under construction. The tiled section is pitched at all 3 sides! Looks great underneath vaulted. Probably cost a fortune in steels!

I think the architect just left most of the roof design to the structural engineer...

Attachments

• IMG_20170824_083356.jpg
    IMG_20170824_083356.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 126
  • P1000735.JPG
    P1000735.JPG
    543.9 KB · Views: 121
Some pics of a flat and pitched roof under construction. The tiled section is pitched at all 3 sides! Looks great underneath vaulted. Probably cost a fortune in steels!

I think the architect just left most of the roof design to the structural engineer...
That’s just 2 cranked steels, not that expensive.

You can gain 300mm with the same pitch by raising the roof line up the 2nd story windows and flattening the roof profile in front of the windows. You can also lower the pitch to 5 degrees by changing away from tile, bonded aluminium / insulation panels are fime at 5 as is the lower cost sheet tile effect > If you need a concrete tile option for a lender redland do a tile that is fine at 7.5, interlocking singla roaman, its has a fair head lap so you will need to budget for a 3rd more at shallow angles.

Is that an Architect drawing or just a plans person....they should know all the options

....or have a low pitch EPDM / Single Ply roof, and then cover it in any finish you feel like! :)

What the fudge is going on with those rafter bottom cuts!

New Generation of Velux skylights out now with a minimum pitch of 10 degrees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back