Low pitched roof...Help...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a rear extension built which will have a roof pitch of approx 10deg and am considering the following two problems: Roofing Materials & Roof Windows.

1. Roofing Material.
The house has a slate roof and was keen to mimic this on the extension. Had initially read that I could felt first (for waterproofing), then slate (for aesthetics). But have subsequently read that this doesn't work.

Now considering a lead roof. Is this a practical option? Is it much more expensive?

Any other options?

2. Roof Windows.
I would really like some roof lights to get extra light through to the kitchen - which the extension comes off - but again can't find windows that work at this pitch. Does anyone have any experience of building an 5deg upstand the size of a velux to increase pitch to 15deg?

Thanks for any help & advice.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Felting under a superficial layer of slates can work but the felting must be fully weather proofed as water will almost certainly get through, make sure you double batten around your velux or use flat roof system veluxes.
You need to counter batten before felting and then batten and slate make sure the area between the slates and the felt is well ventillated.
The other options a re some sheet materials that look like slate.
Also use slates made for a low pitch in the first place such as redland cambrians these are interlocking look like slates and can be used down to 15degrees so should be better than normal slates.

A lead roof is a viable option and IMO looks impressive. A good price would be about £140 per m2 supplied and fitted. Probably about twice the price of natural slates.

The simplest way to solve the rooflight issue is to use the Velux flat roof system

there is a "fake lead" product made of stainless steel sheet with an applied lead coating, it is reputed to be harder wearing and longer-lived than real lead, easier to install (like any other sheeet roofing material) and does not creep or tear. Often used on refurb of old buildings. Does anyone know it? I can't remember the name.

Sponsored Links
Does anyone have any experience of (Lafarge) Kami Metal Roofing (Plegel/TerraPlegel):

- Tile effect metal sheets
- Appearance of traditional tiles
- 10 deg min. pitch

TerraPlegel Link

Thanks,
Rich

noseall said:
i think masona does.
I can't be the only one with this roof? :LOL:

Have a look here and scroll down to TILES ON A SHEET, I have used the VERSASTEEL TILES ON A SHEET on my summerhouse, the other know I know of are the Decra Roof System which you see mostly on fast food Mcdonalds roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back