Clear Finishing for T & G Mahogany

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am re-lining my vestibule in t & g mahogany and want to preserve the look of the wood from the weather. It is west facing between an outer solid storm door & an inner glass one. Obviously, the answer is to keep the outer one closed, but it will be open in fine weather & exposed to sun & wind. What would be the best product to use?
fergi

Sponsored Links
Aah a message from the beautiful kingdom of Fife.

This is a difficult one. Most exterior coatings contain UV filters in the form of pigments. As you are looking for a clear coating these products are not an option.

We have recently run a variety of tests on clear exterior coatings and there is no doubt the clear woodshield product from Smith & Rodger performed best. Understandably it didn't perform as well as it's coloured counterpart but it is the product I would recommend will meet your requirements.

The woodshield is white spirit based, it should be applied with a brush and left 24 hours between coats. 2-3 coats are recommended and it will produce a satin finish. If you have any other questions please just ask.

Thanks for your reply. In view of what you said, I think I should go for one with UV filters as it is west- facing. What one would you suggest that would not change the colour of the wood too much?
Fergi

Sponsored Links
You could try a couple of products either Butinox 4 Mahogany or Woodshield Mahogany. They should only alter your wood slightly.

In hindsight it is probably best to try and get a sample of these products to test them on a small inconspicuous area.

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back