Clicking Noise in Wall Cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a detatched house and since moving in over 12 months ago we can hear not all the time but sounds like 2 or 3 clicks coming from the wall cavity (right hand side wall as looking at house from front) this doesnt happen all the time some time we can hear it 3 or 4 times a night and other times dont hear it for a couple of days we can hear it up and down stairs hence my thinking of it could be in the cavity does anybody have any idea of what this may be it is starting to bug me now

brett

Sponsored Links
its not a bloke eating prawn cocktail crisps is it?

(or was that the munching noise?)

may be contraction as the wall (if its an exterior wall with the sun on it all day) as its starting to cool in the night

btctworld said:
I live in a detatched house and since moving in over 12 months ago we can hear not all the time but sounds like 2 or 3 clicks coming from the wall cavity (right hand side wall as looking at house from front) this doesnt happen all the time some time we can hear it 3 or 4 times a night and other times dont hear it for a couple of days we can hear it up and down stairs hence my thinking of it could be in the cavity does anybody have any idea of what this may be it is starting to bug me now

brett

could it be a dripping noise?

Sponsored Links
During building renovation work our 60’s rural property last year we had some new window & door openings put in & our cavity was left open for several weeks; we began to hear strange noises coming from within the walls at night & I’m convinced it was rats running around inside the cavity; I blocked off all of the exposed cavity openings & the noises disappeared after a few days!

I'm presuming if it's dry lined it is a fairly modern wall if not a modern house. If so is the plumbing plastic rather than copper?
We have plastic pipe and as it heats up it expands(much more than copper). This means that at about 6 in the morning as the central heating comes on the pipes expand and as they move they start to creak. The same thing happens as they cool down.

If the clicking noises match when the central heating goes on and off then I would suspect this could be the culprit.

It's not a spider with one of them clickers thats was advertised on TV with the lynks advert, you know the one where the man clicks every time he gets a smile off the ladies. The male spider could do the same. :LOL:

Do you have an old gas or electric meter mounted in the cavity on this side of the house? (meter clicking as the dial goes around)

markie said:
It's not a spider with one of them clickers thats was advertised on TV with the lynks advert, you know the one where the man clicks every time he gets a smile off the ladies. The male spider could do the same. :LOL:

Them clickers didn't do them any good inthe longest day.D-Day landings :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back