Clonk Noise coming from mains water (solenoid valves only)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, as a sparky you'll have to excuse my terminology.......I did a search and this question didn't appear to come up before.

I get a single clonk from the mains pipework everytime an appliance with a solenoid valve operates. i.e. dishwasher, washing machine and outside tap timer. I don't get it with any other taps, toilet or anything where the pressure is released slowly. I suspect that the "all or nothing" functionality of a solenoid valve is causing some form of quick pressure release, leading to this clonk.

Do you think I could resolve this by fitting some form of pressure reducing valve at each appliance or is there an easier way? Or....am I completely missing something else?

Any reply gratefully received :LOL:

cheers in advance

p

Sponsored Links
thanks for quick reply. Much appreciated.

If only it were that easy. the property is quite old and the pipework is under floors and through joists and in some rooms cannot be accessed. Also, I can't seem to pinpoint the exact location.

Is there a workaround or compromise to be had?

you could fit a shock arrester, a small expansion vessel, but it may cause more problems than it solves, ie. water hammer

Sponsored Links
Thanks gents.

Would the expansion vessel be the same as for an unvented boiler or am I meowing up the wrong leg?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back