Hammer Time !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Bosch Classixx (cold feed only) Dishwasher has been causing a water hammer effect for some time now. No other appliances / taps cause this effect.
My understanding is that the solenoid valve is able to shut off the supply very quickly (much quicker than you would be able to turn off a tap for example) causing the 'shock'.

Four ideas come to mind, your opinions please:

1. Partially close the valve feeding the machine. This has in part worked, the water hammer is less however it's still there. Plus I don't really find this a satisfactory solution.

2. Change the plastic pipe which connects the machine to the water feed. This is unlike the one feeding the washing machine, made of very hard plastic and has a much smaller bore, less than half that you would expect on a washing machine feed pipe.

3. Fit a pressure reducing valve. Must this be fitted to the mains feed for the whole house (bearing in mind I have no issues with any other appliance / tap) or can it be installed on the pipe feeding the dishwasher.

4. Fit a water pressure arrester. Unfamiliar with this bit of kit, will need to have a bit of a read if this is the way to go.

Any thoughts please ? Will check back frequently in case more information is required. My thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
3 yes, it can go anywhere -on a higher pressure- ;)

4 - yes. Install arrester on incomming mains just after the stop cock. This will then protect the whole property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back