arrrgh! water hammer again! - time for a shock arrester?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been fighting water hammer for years and I though I had won, now its back again!

In summary:
There was very bad water hammer in my house!
There is faily high water pressure here. All toilets/wahing machine/ dishwasher on mains cold feed. ( so doesn't relate to ball valve in cold storage tank!)

After much adjusting stopcock valve and isolator valves to wc cisterns, replacing valves with fliuid masters etc, I managed to reduce the 'hammer' to a slight 'thump' when cold water filling dish washer/washing machine. Thsi was about a year ago.

Now one of the fluid master valves starts to produce a howling noise when water is being used somewhere else in the house. It can rise to an ear splitting level!

Is it time to fit a shock arrester? If so, where do I fit it?

Sponsored Links
Shock arresters usually will not do the job for a long time. Closing the stop cock or similar tricks are not the answer either. Remedy is simple and cheap. Clip hot and cold water pipes where-ever they are not supported for more than 2 meters. Especially in basement or in crawl space where the pipe comes from stop cock. As someone else mentioned; if your so called plumber had no idea, get the rest checked. It is one of the most basic things in plumbing. Very easy to find as well. When you find a length of unsupported pipe, have someone turn a tap on and off. You can see the pipe move when the tap closes. I remember one case where I saw the pipe move nearly 10 centimeters. Or about 4 inches in old money.

The water hammer or (should I say water squeal !) is only evident at the fluid master valve at the moment, so does clipping the pipes stop 'water hammer' (presure wave), building up in the plumbing system and becoming evident in all sorts of differnt places?

Sponsored Links
your first job should be change the main stopvalve,the problem is the jumper inside is loose,as the water stops it is bouncing about.
the squeal will be the pressure increasing as the fliud master closes you could try a pressure reducing valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back