Water hammer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suddenly developed a severe water hammer problem 2 months ago. When any tap hot or cold is turned off or when the washing machine valves shut produces violent hammer in the pipes. There are 2 flats affected in a terraced house conversion sharing mains supply.

A plumber replaced a plate in one stopcock in one flat which fixed the problem for 2 days only. He returned and reduced the mains water pressure which fixed the problem for 2 days also.

What is the root cause of water hammer - does anyone know? I understand that the causes can be loose pipes or stopcock plates -- I don't want to pull both flats apart looking for loose pipes if that can be helped. Is there a simple way to go about looking for the root problem?

If it is the mains stopcock in the street how can this be solved?

Any suggestions gratefully received because I've already paid over £200 for a plumber to poke around and not fix the problem.

J.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back