Water hammer and stopcocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if you can help please.

We have been having trouble with pipe hammer for some time. It's intermittent, but at its worst it's happening every few minutes throughout the day and night.

We're replaced the cold water tank float valve, we've isolated the dishwasher, we've tied up the float vales in the cold water and hot header tanks and we've turned off the cold feed from the tank. We've strapped down every piece of exposed pipework we can find and built new formwork in the loft to clip pipes to. The only thing that stops the noise is turning off the mains stopcock. The things we can't isolate are the float values, the kitchen tap and the garden tap. We're on a shared mains pipe with our neighbours, but they say they have no problems. Mains pressure is a solid 3 bar. The kitchen tap does pulse about 50hz if turned on low and has a small leak somewhere.

When I initally replaced the float value we noticed that the main stopcock wasn't completely shutting off the flow. Unfortunately the old one is soldered in about an inch from the ground - the first plumber who came out to replace it declared the job too hard and stopped answering the phone, the second put in the new stopcock above the old one.

My Mrs is convinced that the old stopcock is the source of the hammer and would like it removed. Is she likely to be right? Anything more to try first? I was about to try fitting a hammer arrestor under the kitchen sink.

Thanks in advance for any nuggets of information!

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Photo attached, if I can work the forum correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_20200125_121205.jpg
    IMG_20200125_121205.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 278
Won't be easy but you could try and take the head of the old stopcock, remove the jumper (bit where the washer goes), and refit the head.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. We're on a shared pipe with 4 other houses, so that feels like a plan with limited options if it all goes wrong... I might need to find a braver plumber!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back