Stopcock issue!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Turned off the under sink stopcock to isolate the cold water supply. Stopcock turned fully, and the kitchen sink tap cold water shut off, as expected.
Strangely though, the other cold taps in the house, both up and downstairs, continued to run freely, with no hint of shutting off. Am I missing the blatantly obvious here?
In the loft I have two water tanks, for the hot water cylinder & central heating, I believe. Are these in the equation?
Thanks, Claude.

Sponsored Links
Or you can buy a rubber bung from a plumbers merchant and plug the hole in the tank. This should stop the water to allow you to do what you want to do.

Are you sure this stopcock is just for the cold water tap?

Follow the pipe work from the stopcock, if it splits into two (not including the outside tap) then it will need time to drain down as said.

If it only goes straight to the cold water tap then you should have another stopcock either under the kitchen units, under the stairs or front garden/pavement.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Or you can buy a rubber bung from a plumbers merchant and plug the hole in the tank. This should stop the water to allow you to do what you want to do.

blue tack is cheaper ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back