vibrating knocking mains pipe under kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just an issue i have been having with my cold water mains stopcock pipe under the kitchen sink and thought i would get your opinion on it if you knew. for the past few months I have been getting a strange knocking noise (loud enough to be heard in the whole house) which is coming from the mains cold water pipe, basically just after the stopcock handle under the kitchen sink area.

You can even feel the vibration when you hold the pipe.  This tends to happen more so when there is no plumbing or appliances in use. As a side issue i do get slight water hammer when the cold tap is turned off suddenly but as I said the knocking/vibrating from pipe happens when nothing is in use randomly 

Solutions I have tried have included adjusting the stopcock handle more open and more closed, I have also turned stopcock off and drained the cold water from the cold taps downstairs and turned stopcock back on and also I have had scottish water out to check water pressure at the outside street pipe which is 4bar and fine.

Do i need the stopcock or cold water pipe under kitchen sink looked at by plumber? could it be a faulty stopcock washer?

Sponsored Links
Could be,
Perished washer in mains stop tap,
Replacement ceramic cartridge,washer in tap,
Faulty ballcock in CWSC (depending on type of system)
Faulty fill valve in toilet letting by,
Most normal and sometimes hardest to fix is insufficiently supported pipes,obviously leading to locating the pipes that are vibrating and clipping them properly.

forgot to mention that its a 16yr old detached housee.

new taps recently installed but this sound happened with old taps too

hot water cylinder and cold tank in loft system

i turned off the stop tap and the kitchen tap doesnt let any water run but the downstairs bathroom which is mains connected still has a wee little dribble running thru the tap. does this mean the washer is broken?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back