noisy vibrating mains stopcock (when no plumbing in use)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive had this issue for over a year now

When theres no plumbing in use (no washing machine,heating, toilets, taps etc) i get random knocking vibrating type noises (u can feel the vibration when u hold it) from the stopcock under the kitchen sink. This is the mains stopcock for my detached 20 year old house.

Ive had the ball valve in the loft cold tank replaced recently and i dont seem to have any leaky toilets (i have 2 toilets in the house) so what could this noise be coming from? Im at a loss to know what to do!

Als

Sponsored Links
Check the stoptap is fully open it could be water hammer caused by your neighbours using their appliances.
Jeff

Yep the stoptap is fully open. My house is detached so didnt think it could be cos of my neighbours use of appliances

Sponsored Links
Call your water supplier - they may have something odd going on in their main pipe further down the line

Have you got a water meter fitted? If so this will be the culprit. Phone water board and they will replace with a new one.

Why would the water meter be the culprit? How do i know if i have one? I dont think i do have one tbh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back