Vibrating main water stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My mains water coming in the house via the stopcock is making a very loud vibration noise, I get it when I run a bath and the stored water tank in the loft is refilling. I thought maybe it just needed turning down a bit but from closed you only have to open it a little and it starts vibrating and is very noisey.

Sponsored Links
Are you referring to the stopcock or the ball valve.Stopcocks rarely make a noise but worn ball valves do.

I'm talking about the main stockcok under the sink that turns all the water off inside the house.

It's prolly a worn ball valve making the water pulse and the stopcock vibrate.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean, a ball valve inside the stopcock or somewhere else in the house?

Ball valve = ball cock inside your cold storage tank.

On some occasions, I have had hammering/vibrating from the stopcock (the one inside the house) because the washer has perished and gone AWOL. The metal jumper (washer carrier) then chatters on the seat inside the stop tap when taps etc are run.

Whitespirit66";p="1968029 said:
Ball valve = ball cock inside your cold storage tank.

On some occasions, I have had hammering/vibrating from the stopcock (the one inside the house) because the washer has perished and gone AWOL. The metal jumper (washer carrier) then chatters on the seat inside the stop tap when taps etc are run.

Are you saying that the ball valve in the loft tank could be causing the vibration at the kitchen stopcock?

The stopcock still turns off OK, if it is the washer in the stopcock is it best just to get a new stopcock fitted?

Are you saying that the ball valve in the loft tank could be causing the vibration at the kitchen stopcock?

The stopcock still turns off OK, if it is the washer in the stopcock is it best just to get a new stopcock fitted?

Yes, worn ball valves can cause hammer and noise. Replacement usually sorts it.

If the stop cock turns off completely, then it is unlikely to be a stop cock problem. If you do open it up and the washer is knackered, then just put a new washer in it.

Whitespirit66";p="1968044 said:
Yes, worn ball valves can cause hammer and noise. Replacement usually sorts it.

May sound like another silly question but the ball valve is the complete floating ball unit in the tank, would you replace it or is there something to try clean first?

Yes, its the float, arm and valve that's fixed to side of tank.

You could try stripping it, cleaning internals with white vinegar and replacing the rubber washer. Or, they aren't very expensive to buy.

IMO it is easier to replace the ball valve than service it in situ. They are cheap enough, and there's less chance of dropping any of the parts into the cistern or losing them in the loft insulation.

:!: ...You could overhaul the old valve after replacing it, and store it away ready for when the replacement valve fails. The snag with the idea is ball valves are generally very reliable, so by the time you need your rebuilt one, you will have forgotten where you put it... :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back