Water Hammer Driving Me Mad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an annoying case of water hammer and really hoping for some help on how to solve it.

Due to a minor leak I replaced the flexible hoses under the bathroom sink recently, and this meant turning off the main stopcock, as the isolator tap is built in to the hose. Ive turned the stopcock off before without a problem but this time after turning the water back on there's been a vibrating bang every time a cold tap is turned off sharply. This is particularly annoying when our washer dryer is on dry mode, as for some reason it seems to quickly draw on water and turn off again. It's always done this but it's really annoying now.

Anyway I tried turning off the stopcock and turning on all taps last week. Then i turned the water back on and turned the taps off one by one. It fixed it and I thought that was the end of it. Until today, when I used the outside tap and the hammer was back. I realised I didn't include the outside tap when the stopcock was off so I tried again with all taps on, including outside this time, but after turning back on the supply and turning the taps off again, the hammer came back. I've tried 3 or 4 times tonight but still it persists. What else can I try?

Or if it comes to it, are those little air pressure valve things worth trying? How easy are they to fit? The only easily accessible copper pipework is upstairs in the bathroom, not sure if this matters.

Sponsored Links
Is the stopcock FULLY open ? Seems odd that your problem has surfaced since using it ? Did you do anything else other than change a flexi hose ?

Yeah, stopcock is fully open. If it is closed more, the hammer noise is louder. Nothing else changed other than a like for like swap over of a flexi hose. The pipework is oldish and the stopcock looks like it has seen better days, but been here over 5 years and had the stopcock off a few times before and never had a problem before.

Sponsored Links
Yes fit a shock arrestor - but don't forget to maintain it by pumping up annually with a bike pump to about three bar

The 3/4 inch one gasbanni linked to is for appliances - between the "washingmachine" tap and the hose. Brilliant idea, and a simple DIY fit

Those look an easy solution but does it matter where along the pipework they are fitted? The only place with any real accessibility is under the bathroom sink. The stopcock is extremely inaccessible.

They appear to be single appliance models - can you get one on the washer/dryer tap ?

They appear to be single appliance models - can you get one on the washer/dryer tap ?

Not without taking the kitchen apart. It is not just the washer dryer, its any tap when it gets shut off, unless another tap is open at the same time. The washer dryer is just particularly annoying as it's equivalent to someone slamming a cold tap shut every 10 seconds and can't be doing the pipes any good. If I could install anywhere I'd do it in the bathroom but not sure if that would work.

You need to understand why it's happening, just sticking on an arrestor may not solve it, especially when it didn't do it before. Something has changed and it's that that needs to be tracked down, understood and sorted.

Pointless fixing the symptoms when it's the cause that needs to be sorted IMO.

You need to understand why it's happening, just sticking on an arrestor may not solve it, especially when it didn't do it before. Something has changed and it's that that needs to be tracked down, understood and sorted.

Pointless fixing the symptoms when it's the cause that needs to be sorted IMO.

I agree but nothing has changed other than the flexible hose.

And several operations closing/ opening the stopcock.

True. So you think it could be the stopcock that needs replacing? It is louder when the stopcock is more closed. It looks pretty old. I don't think I'd be able to DIY replace it though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back