Water Hammer Driving Me Mad

True. So you think it could be the stopcock that needs replacing? It is louder when the stopcock is more closed. It looks pretty old. I don't think I'd be able to DIY replace it though.
Why not ,is it soldered onto a lead pipe ?

Sponsored Links
Why not ,is it soldered onto a lead pipe ?

It's hard to tell. It's hidden behind a kitchen cupboard in a corner unit and also has plasterboard over it. There's a hole cut out to operate the tap and from what I can see the pipes don't look copper at that point. No obvious compression fittings on the tap. An electrician fitted our cooker socket inches away from the stopcock too for some reason. I also don't know where the outside property isolator tap is. So for all those reasons DIY is a bit scary! Any idea what a plumber would charge?

Blimey ,a right ball ache then. Some plumbers won't get involved in moving electrics and kitchen cabinets etc to get access to pipework ,no idea what its gonna cost.

Blimey ,a right ball ache then. Some plumbers won't get involved in moving electrics and kitchen cabinets etc to get access to pipework ,no idea what its gonna cost.

Yeah, this is why I was hoping I could stick a £20 device at a more accessible part of the pipework to be rid of the water hammer.

Sponsored Links
Worth trying ,it may stop the noise you are hearing. Do you have a water meter ?

The problem is pipes that are improperly clipped or fastened the symptom is water hammer the shock arrester will cure the symptom, the one I listed has worked everytime for me, I usually fit them near the stop cock.

The problem is pipes that are improperly clipped or fastened the symptom is water hammer the shock arrester will cure the symptom, the one I listed has worked everytime for me, I usually fit them near the stop cock.

Does it need to be near the stopcock though, or will it work if I just fit it anywhere I can access the pipework?

Also noticed it does it with hot too so not sure if that affects any answers.

Ideally on the pipe after stopcock ,and before branches from it.you could do a trial to simulate what results would be ,by creating a dead leg. Close stop cock ,drain down making sure outside tap is drained out. Close outside tap ,but leave all others open. Open up stopcock and go around closing all taps .do not open outside tap. This should leave a pocket of trapped air in the branch to outside tap. See what result is.

I have a similar situation, I once replaced my bathroom basin cold tap with a new one, at the same time removing a bit of the old pipe leading up to it with a flexi hose connector/isolator valve. Ever since then, whenever cold water is turned off anywhere (dishwasher stopping, toilet flush ending, any tap), I get a loud knock in the bathroom from behind the wall near the electric shower. Never been able to solve it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back