Water hammer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a flat and seem to get this issue of water hammer when pressure changes. it's not just when i close a tap rapidly, can happen when washing machine takes water in.

Mostly, hammer happens in the evening when boiler or taps or washnig machine are NOT working which suggests it is the next door flat as it's pretty random and must be when someone else is using a tap. If my pipes and stopcock seem fine ( Took kitchen unit backing out, observed/fealt pipes and they don't move. neither does stopcock. ) could it be issues with next door?Work done on a downstairs flat did mean that water for the whole complex was turned off and there was sputtering for a bit when it came back on.

Sponsored Links
Could well be in an adjacent flat.

Water hammer can be caused by inadequately clipped and supported pipes, high water pressure will aggravate problem, pumping surges either from booster pumps in your block of flats, from Water Company booster pumps ro pressure control equipment, poor quality or poor design float operated valves, elbows in close proximity of float operated valves and taps can also be the cause, quick action taps, faulty jumper in a tap, flexible pipe connections.

Usually though in my experience it is due to inadequate pipework clipping.

Surge arrestors are available that can reduce some forms of water hammer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back