Close coupled central heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a vented CH system consisting of 3 zones - up, down and HW only. Pump is a Groundfos 25 50 and has been operating without issue since at least 1993. The first radiator on both downstairs circuit and upstairs circuit both fill with air within a couple of weeks of bleeding and have done so for years. I’ve tested the gas in both radiators and am confident it is not hydrogen. My pump is on the return pipe about 1m from the boiler. In between the pump and the boiler is the water feed (1/2inch pipe) from f&e tank. My understanding is that this means that my radiators etc are all on the negative pressure side of the circuit and that this might be the reason for the build up of air in the system. The expansion pipe (1inch) is on the flow pipe about 4m from the boiler. I’ll be replacing the pump isolation valves shortly as both are leaking a little and I am wondering if this would be a good opportunity to convert to a close coupled system. If so does the requirement for a max separation of 150mm between the expansion and the feed pipes (both would be placed between boiler and pump on the flow pipe) apply only at the teeing position and can the two pipes follow different paths back up to the f&e tank?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes tee off the flow before the pump with no more than 6 inch between the two pipes after that as long as the expansion pipe rises you s be ok

As above, combine the two, my 50 year old system with some rads > 40 years, has the cold feed teed into the vent where it passes up adjacent to the F&E Tank

Attachments

• Combined Cold Feed & Vent. rev1.JPG
    Combined Cold Feed & Vent. rev1.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
There are 2 pipes
1) Feed and expansion
2) Vent
almost no thermal expansion goes up the vent pipe.

If you combine them, all the pipe must be 22mm min.

The vol of thermal expansion taken up by the vent is proportional to the csa of the vent & F&E tank, you don't actually need a vent as long as the cold water feed does not have a isolation valve, fig. 2, below.

Attachments

• Combined Vent & feed no vent.jpg
    Combined Vent & feed no vent.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 50

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back