Close coupled WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed a new bathroom suite. Its all good except that I can't seem to get a good seal bewteen the cistern and the pan. The doughnut washer is new and I've had the cistern off several times and repositioned it. Everytime when I flush, water must get past the doughnut and then slowly drips through the bolt holes for cistern to pan fixings. Any tips that anyone can offer on getting a watertight seal would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If its a sponge washer replace it with a rubber one.
make sure the surfaces are dry and then smear some silicone on the bottom of the washer where it sits on the pan.

Taydo, thanks for the tip. Washer is rubber but likely to a cheap one as it came with a budget suite. Maybe I can get something better (thicker? harder?) from the local plummers merchants. Any advice on how tight the fixing bolts should be? My approach so far has been to wind the wingnuts up as hard as I can. Maybe this distorts the washer and a little less force may be the answer?

Sponsored Links
Not usually as long as you wind them up even, use the silicone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back