Toilet leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been to the downstairs toilet and noticed water all over the floor around the toilet. It was dripping from the bolts securing the cistern to the pan. Isolated the water and drained the cistern. No screw holes in the cistern so must have one of the brackets which holds the cistern to the pan.

Am I right in thinking the doughnut washer is causing the leak? Scewfix and Plumcenter only sell the foam doughnut washers, are these any good?

Also, when I turned off the isolating valve I got a spray in the face from that. When I turn the screw it leaks from the screw, is this a sign of a knackered isolated valve as well?

Sponsored Links
if its leaked from the do-nut you must of flushed the toilet for it to leak from their

the only place is from the syphon nut loose then leaking on to do-nut and down the bolts as you say

Sponsored Links
the only place is from the syphon nut loose then leaking on to do-nut and down the bolts as you say

Thanks again Seco - don't seem to be having much luck with toilets recently!!!

What would you make of the isolating valve issue?

the isolating valve is cheap & nasty.
ideally change it for a full bore butterfly valve.

Probably is the syphon nut but check the float valve inlet nut too....and don't rule out a hairline crack either.....

Probably is the syphon nut but check the float valve inlet nut too....and don't rule out a hairline crack either.....

Cistern is the older type with a flush handle rather than top mounted buttons. The central component (presume this is the syphon) doesn't seem loose, seems to be secured quiet well. It's also dripping from the opposite side to the toilet feed, so don't think thats the problem.

Will remove the cistern tonight and have a look. Knowning my recent luck it will be a hairline crack.

Presume if it is cracked I can just replace the cistern?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back