closet lighting badly wired and behaving strangely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
As the title suggests, Ive tried to install two lights and a light switch in a closet Ive built in my bedroom. I wired it by taking a spur from the bedroom ceiling rose in the attic and then running the cable through the ceiling into my closet. I thought I had everything sorted BUT! something really odd has happened:

• If the main bedroom light is on, switching the closet light on does nothing
  • If the main bedroom light is off, switching the closet light on, lights both the closet light and main bedroom light, then turning the closet light off turns both the closet and main bedroom lights off BUT if the closet and main lights are both lit and then i turn off the main light switch, IT TURNS OFF THE CLOSET BUT LEAVES THE MAIN LIGHT ON.
Has anyone got any ideas? Finally, when the closet lights are on, they always flicker. Ive checked the wiring and its sound so i assume there isn't enough power?

Any help would be great, Im lost but would prefer to try and fix it myself before calling someone in.

Thanks,
Joe.

Sponsored Links
You have incorrectly wired it at the rose.

Ensure neural connected to neutral (the 2 or 3 blacks)

I would definitely get a professional electrician in.

That said have you connected the neutral to the switched live, the insulation of which is the same as a neutral (with red or brown sleeving) but is actually used as a live?

Put up some pictures if you want advice from the professionals on the forum.

Blup

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Classic symptoms of the neutral of your new wiring being connected to the switched live at the ceiling rose.

Simply move your new blue wire [neutral] to the other black[or could be blue] wire in the rose as Andy says and your weird problem will become a distant memory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back