clunch pointing

M

munchingB

hello all, ive bought a house that is built from clunch and brick, the front face and possibly the foundation being the clunch part (does that sound right-clunch foundations?-anyway thats how it looks to be from outside!). just wondering about a few sections of the stone work that have been repointed with cement and what detrimental effect this will have on the house. i understand that it should have been pointed with lime is that right so the wall can breathe? all the repointing seems to be along the lower part of the house too and i have it in my head that this will be a moisture trap or something and will cause damp on some ingress on the inside at some point in the future..? seriously dont know what im talking about other then a few bits ive read online but im led to believe the concrete needs chipping out and redone with lime? ...plus the concrete bits look seriously crip compared to the lime pointing.. cheers all

Sponsored Links
Oooh, thats some nasty looking cement pointing there. Ideally you'd remove it but depending on how hard it is that can sometimes do more damage. I might be tempted to try to age it down (maybe paint it with yoghurt os something) and monitor it for a while. You are right that cement pointing can cause damage but that is normally where the whole wall is sealed in and the vapour has nowhere to go. In your situation the vapour could just easily rise and escape over the top of the cement band.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back