coal fire heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a solid fuel heating system which around 2 weeks ago stoped putting hot water to my radiators also water to taps only warm.have bled the radiators (all ok) checked all piping for leaks (all ok) checked the pump pumping and working ok (yes!!) Checked ball cran in top tank (ok!!!) Drained the system refilled and bled and guess what ......still no heat!!!!!! All i can give you is top pipe into coil is roasting bottom pipe comming out just warm.could it be the coil? Your help would be much appreciated.cheers

Sponsored Links
Sounds like its blocked with sludge. Its suprising if the pump is still working.

You will probably need to do some chemical desludging which can be a bit risky on what is probably an old system.

Tony

hi Tony,

the boiler is only say 6 years old so quite new system .will try that though anything worth a go cheers also after draining system i'm now getting hot water to the taps

Sponsored Links
hi Tony,

the boiler is only say 6 years old so quite new system .will try that though anything worth a go cheers also after draining system i'm now getting hot water to the taps
I would say , firstly an airlock . Try filling system from a drain point with mains water hose - watch the header tank as you`ll fill this to overflowing :!: . Secondly , and I witnessed this just yesterday , while refurbing some cast iron column rads for my house , There was a lump of crud lying in the bottom of a rad - the size of a broad bean and rock hard :eek: I poked it out along with the small ( expected ) amount of loose rust - it would have been enough to disrupt the flow in the rad - probably why rad was taken out and sold to me cheap ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back