Heating OK (eventually) but no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pumped system feeding into the top of my hot water cylinder (as well as to my rads). The return from the cylinder meets the radiator returns at the boiler input.

Having drained the system, refilled and bled the radiators my central heating is now working but I dont seem to have any flow of hot water through my cylinder. I'm wondering if it could have air in it which is stopping it warm up. Can these be bled like a radiator?.

There is an unscrewable section on the valve (tap ??) from cylinder, but when I open it there is no sound of air coming from it.

I've had sludge problems earlier, stopping flow of water to my rads downstairs. Might this have now clogged the return from the cylinder and as such stoped the flow.

The pipe from the pump out to the cylinder input gets cooler as it gets nearer the boiler and the out pipe is cold. I've drained the tank to check if the cold water sat in it may be "sinking" any heat passing through the coil but this has made no difference - the heat still doesnt travel to the out pipe of the cylinder.

My pump has 3 settings and its on the fastest speed at the moment. Should I reduce that or will that not help things. (whats the "normal" speed setting for a pump or how do you work out the best setting.)

I know I've rambled on quite a bit, and asked a lot of questions but I thought the more info I give the better chance there is of someone pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks to the various people that replied to my earlier posts.

Sponsored Links
The pipe from the pump out to the cylinder input gets cooler as it gets nearer the boiler and the out pipe is cold. I've drained the tank to check if the cold water sat in it may be "sinking" any heat passing through the coil but this has made no difference - the heat still doesnt travel to the out pipe of the cylinder.

This indicates no flow. The heat transfer is not good, so water coming out of the coil is still pretty hot. There is a blockage in the pipe or a valve is not opening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back