Cold aluminium frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of aluminium framed double glazed windows in my house (probably 10-15 years old) but the frames get really cold and suck the heat out of the room (not to mention geeting covered in condensation).
Just wondered if anyone knows if there is anyway of refurbishing them?
Or am I just looking at a new window if I want an upgrade?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As far as I know, it is just a flaw of aluminium windows of that generation. Modern aluminium windows do not have this problem as they have far more effective thermal break (insulation) to prevent this.

I think it is either a put up with it or replace. A good pair of curtains may help temporarily but I do not think there is a way to fix this problem in old aluminium windows. I have some in the kitchen......

Thanks.
It does sound like they are missing a thermal break. I guess there is no way to retrofit one. (seems such a waste to trash the window for the sake of a thin strip of insulation). Looks like it's time to save up for some new windows. In the meantime, thick curtains it is.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
It does sound like they are missing a thermal break. I guess there is no way to retrofit one. (seems such a waste to trash the window for the sake of a thin strip of insulation). Looks like it's time to save up for some new windows. In the meantime, thick curtains it is.

No way to retro fit. It is part of the frame construction/design. It was just a massive flaw in the old designs. 1st generation upvc had its problems too, so it is not just the aluminium windows of the period that had issues. Then it is dependant as to how well it has been installed.

If it is not an important window, why not put bubble wrap over it for the winter if it’s really that bad. Or roll up some bubble wrap and put it around the frame. Thick curtains should defiantly help.

Thanks again for the reply. I guess I was hoping there might be a cheap easy fix (somehting like injecting foam into cavity wall).
It's in my daughter's room and I've now been told she won't sleep with the curtains fully shut. :rolleyes: (though she may change her mind in the coming days)
That said, its not too bad, just gives a bit of an unwanted cold spot near the windows. I have a feeling it's going to be an expensive fix for a relatively small problem.
When I was a kid my room had single glazed metal frames and no radiator - you had to chip the ice off the inside in the morning. Any moaning from the kids and I'll just dust off the 'When i were a lad' stories.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back