Cold Bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cold bedroom and am not sure why. The single radiator is normally hot and I've recently added more insulation in the loft above the bedroom (up there its now 370mm). The house is 7 years old & detached, it doesn't have cavity wall insulation although the rest of the house is warmer in comparison to this one bedroom.

Should I get cavity wall insulation fitted, replace the single radiator with a double or does anyone have any other suggestions which could help?

Sponsored Links
Is it a North wall, or double aspect windows?
Seems to make a huge difference. Replacing a single with a double may not be the most efficient answer, but will sort it and is very easy if you can get the same length or type rad. Did that in my house!

There are 3 walls around the room (north, east & west), only the north wall has a window.

Like you say double radiators aren't the most efficient answer......

Dimensions of room, please; and which walls are external; dimensions of window; dimensions of radiator. Presumably it has a TRV and so do the other rads in the house.

Is the rad under the window and do the curtains funnel the heat outside.

Type of curtains and blinds on window; is it plastic, wood or metal, double glazed. Check for draughts throughout the room; including round light fittings in the ceiling, and round the door. Is the door generally kept closed when you are trying to heat the room.

Sponsored Links
- Dimensions of room : 3660mm L x 2950mm W x 2320mm H
- External Walls : North Wall (window), East Wall and West Wall
- Dimensions of Window : 1200mm L x 1050mm H
- Dimensions of Radiator : 1150mm L x 530mm H (3263 BTU/hr, 956 Watts) This and all rads have a TVR fitted, I have this fully opened up now and have also fully opened up the lock shield valve for this rad.
- The rad is under the window and the curtains rest behind it blocking the heat from escaping via the window.
- Curtains are lined, blinds are venetian plastic. Window is DG.
- Room appears to be pretty well enclosed, very slight gap around light fitting (no draught) which I will seal up.
- Have left the door closed and opened (appears warmer with door open, although not significantly warmer)

Have looked at prices of double rad (= £180) vs cavity wall (=£299)
which is the better one to go for?

Your existing rad is smaller than I would prefer. That's an expensive radiator. Does it include fitting? See http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=32630&ts=76307
If you fit it yourself it is fairly easy though you may need to enlarge the holes the pipes come through the floor to give you a bit of flexibility on positioning. When you have TRVs it does no harm to have big rads.

Cavity wall insulation is very well worthwhile, it will make a surprising difference to the whole house.

As that bedroom has 3 external walls it is always going to be one of the coldest rooms.

I'd do the cavities first and then see if you still need a bigger rad. Check prices of cavity filling from your Electricity and Gas suppliers, they often have good deals and provide a reliable service.

Yeah the rad is expensive (& it doesn't include fitting), but it's exactly the same dimensions as the existing single. I'm presuming it's expensive because its an odd size?

Also, the pipes come through the wall rather than the floor (this doesn't effect the heat output of the rad) so a fair bit more effort to replace rad if its a different size.

Thanks for the links and tips guys will check out prices of cavity fillings from gas and electric suppliers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back