Cold house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 3 bedroom semi detached with ewraparound extension. The house is always cold. I have had the heating on most of today but the room thermostat has not risen above 13 degrees.

We have a large radiator in the extension room and a small radiator in the new kitchen. The rest of the house is as it was before the extension was built.

Extension is insulated as it is just built. The rest of the house has no cavity wall insulation. Had a couple of companies out to see about cavity wall insulation under a grant but they are not keen on doing the job because of the extension. British gas say that the extension disqualifies us for grant as 75 per cent of house can not be done. Another company did not see this as a problem but never got back to me. When I contacted them recently they said the grants were coming to an end and they had too much work on.

I have a new combi boiler which works fine. Radiators are hot to touch but rooms don't seem to heat up. Don't think there are too many draughts either.

Can anyone come up with some ideas that I could try as I am at a loss.

Sponsored Links
If the radiators are hot but the rooms are cold and draught free then you need bigger radiators if you can't improve the insulation.

What prevents the insulation being installed? I realise that access to outside walls is not always possible, but there are good companies out there that, with care will fill the cavities from inside the property.
Are the radiators sized correctly for the rooms?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back