New Wet Room Heating Regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My parents have had a new extension built by what can only be described as a total cowboy builder.

He has built them a wet room in an extension at the end of their house but put no radiator in there. It's extremely cold in there and he's refusing to ad a radiator at this stage.

I wanted to know if there are any regulations that he can be held against to put one in at all?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Building Control Officer. I don’t think there’s a specific regulation to enforce him to fit one, but if it was agreed then that’s a different matter.

Sponsored Links
Building Control Officer. I don’t think there’s a specific regulation to enforce him to fit one, but if it was agreed then that’s a different matter.

They might have something to say about the overall construction though; imagine if this is totally uninsulated.

If a radiator isn't needed under regulations, then the contract or specification will need to be looked at. It would be surprising that a towel rail or similar hasn't been specified/coated/charged for somewhere.

If the heating system for the extension hasn't been designed at all though, then it might be more problematic. Especially if it is a modification to the existing system of the house.

If you have had a bad experience, you will also need to weigh up "cutting your losses" and handling it yourself or with another builder who cares (they do exist!) as these things can become a real drain.

The BCO seems mostly interested in the structure of the extension and the structure over the sewer under ground.

My dad will be picking heating up with him tomorrow.

The builder has put a small radiator in the extension lobby but nothing in the actual wet room itself.

My dad has been telling him to do everything that needs to be done but he's now lying and saying that my dad specifically told him not to add any radiators in the wet room which makes no sense?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back