Cold downstairs radiators mystery??

In case the link above doesn't work or is removed in the future, the cure that finally resolved my cold downstairs radiator problems was to use Fernox DS40.
This stuff is magic but should be used with caution as it can eat your boiler and/or pipework. You can buy it in B+Q and comes in a large tub.

I tried about 3 different sludge removers, DIY powerflushing with a hosepipe, drained the system about half a dozen times, banging the radiators, even changing a radiator but nothing fixed it until i used DS40.
After about 10 minutes in the system, the rads downstairs started to work. hooray! They are still red hot now some 2-3 years later.

I know this is not so relevant but do you still have your Baxi WM?

If so is it the one with the brown line in front?

I was just wondering if it was the same model as my old Baxi that lasted approximately 22 years and was still working when taken out

Yeah, that's the one. Not sure how old mine is but it's still working.
However, last week a brown puddle appeared underneath it! It's stopped leaking now but i think it's probably on it's way out. Out of interest, what new boiler did you replace it with? I was looking at Bosch Worcesters or maybe another BAXI.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying.

We replaced ours with a Vaillant ecoTEC+ 937 storage combination boiler.

We have a high hot water demand so we were going to get a system boiler and unvented cylinder insatlled (most likely Vaillant total system solution) but we had no space for a cylinder.

The hot water performance is great and so is the heating.

IMHO Worcester Bosch is overrated rubbish.

Baxi are not what they used to be.

Ideal boilers are very efficient because they hardly ever work!

Viessmann,Vaillant, ATAG and I dare say Broag Remeha are brands that are held in good esteem on this forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back