cold house confused re boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have natural gas heating and a ferroli system boiler. The boiler has a thermostat/timer but does not seem to have a way to monitor the temp and turn the boiler on/off to keep it a set degree of warmth. So each time the timer kicks in or I turn on manually it is heating the house from cold

The rads can be turned up or down manually but the same problem, heating the house from cold

What I want is to be able to can program the heating system to keep the house at a pre determined temp OK? So it will turn on the boiler heat as needed to top up and then turn off. I think i need a thermostat ? on the wall? Would one be needed in all room or can one monitor all rooms

Am I right re needing a thermostat? Is it electrician or plumber or both?Is there any company i could call?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What you need is a Room Thermostat. Most house installations use only one and it is generally installed in the hall or the main living room.

You set it to the temperature you want and it will switch the central heating boiler ON/OFF as required.

There are simple cheap ones with a temperature dial which you can just turn and also more complicated ones which have built in clocks and can be set up for different temperatures at certain times of day or night.

Try a Google for "room thermostat" to see what's available .

Do you have thermostatic valves on the radiators? - the kind with a large "handle top" and numbers?

Do you have thermostatic valves on the radiators? - the kind with a large "handle top" and numbers?
No i do not have one as you decribe but i can turn heat up and down at rad. point is i have to manually turn on boiler. Thanks

Sponsored Links
a heating engineer will have done hundreds of them. An electrician might or might not be familiar with how to install it at your boiler.

Usually you have a piece of cable run from the boiler to the thermostat. These stats are cheap and simple, but there is more installation work. Or you can get a RF (radio) one that needs no wires and you can move it around the house if you want to. These do not need chasing out of walls and replastering, but are more expensive to buy. You can get them with an integrated timer, if your boiler does not already have a timer.

Preferably do not buy a thermostat without talking to the person who will install it, he may have a recommendation.

A Heating engineer can also install thermostatic radiator valves, but paying for the labour of installing them will cost more than you save in gas economy for many years. They are worthwhile if you can do DIY plumbing, or whenever you have new radiators or valve fitted (since it is no extra work)

Or you can get a RF (radio) one that needs no wires and you can move it around the house if you want to. These do not need chasing out of walls and replastering, but are more expensive to buy.
about how much?

You can get them with an integrated timer, if your boiler does not already have a timer.
my boiler has a timer

Also my boiler will, i just discovered, by turning it down to 30 degrees, turn off and on when itself when the temp falls. Does that mean i do not need a thermostrat? What happens is that the icon of the radioator flashes and it means that the rads are on standby. But it means having to leave the boiler on all the time Is that bad or what should i do? Please excuse I am clueless about this

is it true that in order to fit a wireless room stat there must have been a wired one fitted previously?

A wireless room stat can be fitted anywhere. Some are even designed to be moved round like a TV remote control. They cost about £60-£200 plus not much to install.

I would not be so dismissive of John D's attitude to TRVs. If every room of the house is used then I would agree with him. A case I was discussing today was a single person living in a three bed, two bathroom flat where she spends most of the time in just her bedroom. In that case TRVs would enable the other five rooms to be set near minimum and recover the cost ( at our rates! ) in about one year or less!

Tony

A wireless room stat can be fitted anywhere. Some are even designed to be moved round like a TV remote control. They cost about £60-£200 plus not much to install.
Yes i have been googling. How is the receiver connected to the boiler?

I would not be so dismissive of John D's attitude to TRVs. If every
is that for me sorry if i was dismissive

is it true that in order to fit a wireless room stat there must have been a wired one fitted previously?

no not at all... just a little cable needed to connect it to the boiler. we generaly charge about £180-200 for a programmable digistat. just get a good heating eng.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back