Cold rads upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Folks ,

My rads upstairs are cold / luke warm all over except the bottom inch which is toasty warm. I have bled the rads , and all had a very small amount of air in them. Bleeding made no difference. IS there any way to 'Power Bleed' a system ?

The pump (downstairs next to the oil fired boiler) is whirring away. I have also bled the pump with no obvious air in it.

The system is a Worcester 15/19 oil fired gravity system.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Did any water come out when you bled them? are down stairs rads hot all over? does the boiler remain on for long periods of time?

Water comes out of all but one of the upstairs rads.

The longest the heating is on for is about 5 hours at any one time.

Hope that helps , and thanks :)

check the header tank is full of water, and that the ballcock hasn't stuck up giving impression tank is full. header tank is small on usaully in loft or a high cupboard, is the pump turning? you say you bled the pump, try to see if the pump rotor is turning with a small screw driver.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again.

The pump is definitely 'whirring' but I will do as you suggest and check the pump properly.

The FE tank is about 60-70% full.

Does it do your hot water too? If so then it must be valved off for the heating, and that could be the problam, its in the resting position for hot water and not opening to allow heating. Do you have a motorised valve?

Hi,
Yes it fills my immersion tank. Its a gravity system. The downstaits ones are scorching its just the upstairs rads at the moment.

I certainly havent seen a motorised valve on my system anywhere :confused:

you should have a cylinder, a large tank that feeds that, and a smaller one for the central heating water. check the small tank, as this is the one that is poss empty. also check the pump IS spinning.

Thanks , I have drained the system before , so I'm familiar with the FE tank which is definitely 60-70 % full and the ballcock works fine.

I will check the pump tommorow and report back.

Many thanks

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back